Wednesday 13 August 2008

Day 13: Loch Ness to Carbisdale Castle












Leaving Loch Ness, Donald and daughter the folk singers, no sighting of Nessie and not much of the loch either - mostly hidden by trees - we headed out into the rain to be met with a little hill within 5 min. I have become used to this by now, and I do believe that it's good to start the day with a little climbing, just to get the old heart pumping. Mike and I decided that as hard as we tried to pedal up the hill, it would have been easier and quicker to get off and push. The idea being to conserve our energy for the day ahead! Once we got to the top a great ride over the open Scottish hills.

Later on we passed a mass of tents where a festival was going on that weekend and we did consider going to listen for a while, but no, we continued on our quest. Made our way to Alness for lunch and took a shortcut which worked great for us, and took us up to the top without hardly any panting. Fantastic downhill, which must have gone on for 3 miles, just gives you the giggles. Carry on into Ardgay and on for a few miles next to a beautiful bridge where we stopped, had a peanut butter sandwich and toasted a great days ride. And then it got even better, after a few miles, we came to our hostel for the night a 'castle' - pretty cool.
Living like kings now.



Later on we bumped into a bloke by the name of Will who was on a wee little tour of the area, nice bloke and had a good laugh over our stories. Dinner for me was a specially cooked curry - not too hot. I may be a hard biker on the road but I can't take hot curries. Then off to the quietest pub in the land,crossing the famous bonnar bridge. Considering it was a Saturday, Mike and I made up 50% of the punters. We were offered to dress up in some Scottish dresses but the beer wasn't working that quick and the landlord was not going to have his wicked way with me that night!

Back at the hostel, Mike headed off to bed and I stayed down talking to some visitors and a french lad who had a guitar with him. Asking if he was going to play, he replied he didn't play as it was just a tool to pull the girls. Some others then decided to go and get their guitars too and then there were three. After a while I picked up the strings and got them started with a few Jam numbers, then it got too noisy so I sneaked off upstairs before we were sent to bed. Unfortunately for me and my room - mates the band was playing right beneath us. Mike uttered "can you hear that ******** racket?" Nothing to do with me!





No comments: